Press Association Burnley boss Sean Dyche has told striker Danny Ings to keep on smiling – and the goals will return. “We have scored goals and been productive in front of goal. It’s about reminding the players what it takes to do that, different ways of doing that and how we can affect games.” Striker Ashley Barnes insists confidence remains high among the group. Barnes said: “We are in this together. We are striving for one thing – to stay in this league come the end of the season. That is the main aim. “The positivity around the group and the staff remains the same and hopefully will continue.” Barnes has found himself in the spotlight of late following his controversial tackle on Chelsea’s Nemanja Matic. The 25-year-old escaped punishment but Matic was sent off for his reaction to the challenge in a heated confrontation. Barnes says that incident is now behind him. “It has gone,” he said. “I moved on a while back. I am just concentrating on staying in this league.” The relegation-battling Clarets have struggled for goals in recent weeks, despite some gritty performances, scoring just once in six games. The hotly-rated Ings, whose future beyond the end of the season has been the subject of considerable speculation, has not found the net in seven appearances. Dyche hopes the barren spell is not weighing too heavily on the 23-year-old’s mind and has urged him to focus on enjoying his game. Dyche said: “He’s a bright young lad. He’s a very good player and a good young lad who is grounded. “But you can’t actually get inside someone. When that whistle blows it’s down to them to remind themselves of that freedom I speak about. I want players to play that way. “His biggest thing is he puts a lot of demand on himself – and that can be a weakness as well as a strength. It’s good that he has a thirst to improve, as do a lot of the players. But it has to be balanced with that enjoyment. “I often say to him, play with a smile and I’ve told him he’s best when he does. We’re looking to him to continue doing that.” Burnley’s battling performances have earned plaudits and despite the lack of goals, they have collected five points from a tough run of eight games. Amid that run they have beaten Manchester City and taken points off Chelsea and Tottenham. They are in the bottom three but just two points from safety and Dyche is backing his forwards to come good again. He said: “There’s certainly not pressure (on the strikers) from me. We ventured down this road early season when the goals didn’t come as freely then we had a good patch over the Christmas period.
NEW DELHI: Indian forward Princepal Singh has signed to play in the NBA G League next season, League President Shareef Abdur-Rahim announced on Tuesday. Singh, who will train and compete alongside the new G League team featuring elite youth prospects, is the first NBA Academy graduate to sign with the NBA G League and first NBA Academy India graduate to sign a professional contract.Singh, who started playing basketball at the Ludhiana Basketball Academy, joined The NBA Academy India in 2017, an elite basketball training center in Delhi National Capital Region (NCR) for the top prospects from throughout India, as part of the academy’s inaugural class of student-athletes identified through the ACG-NBA Jump Program. IANS Also watch: Moran’s Khowang Ghat Shut For 3 Days After Girl Tests COVID Positive
Group Managing Director of Zenith Bank, Ebenezer Onyeagwu, said the feat achieved so far by D’Tigress was not a surprise.“We are aware that our girls are the best in Africa. We congratulate the team for getting this far but it is obvious that the tournament is just beginning for top teams like Nigeria.“The higher you go, the tougher it gets and so we expect D’Tigress to double their efforts in the final stages so that the trophy will come back to Nigeria.“D’ Tigress have a crop of professionals, some of whom were part of the Zenith Basketball League which we have sponsored for 15 years running. We are confident that the team has all it takes to go all the way in Senegal.”Incidentally, Evelyn Akhator, Nigeria’s top performer in the first match against Tunisia with +24 efficiency,13 points, 10 rebounds, two assists, three steals and one block, is a product of Zenith Women Basketball League.Other top national women team players who were part of the league are Nkechi Akasiki, Nkem Akaraiwe, Upe Atosu and Chioma Udeaja.Meanwhile, D’Tigress will this morning at the Dakar Arena take on DR. Congo that thrashed Cape Verde 78-46 yesterday to emerge the third team of Group B.Ranked third in Group B after losing to both Mali and Angola, DR Congo still managed to snatch the ticket to the quarter finals.D’Tigress Coach, Otis Hughley however insisted on the team treating DR Congo same way as the other top teams in the group.“We will treat every game the same because everyone will come out to play. We will go in with the same attitude we always have, to play hard from beginning to end.“We respect all opponents for we know any team can be beaten if not properly prepared. However, we hope at the end of the game they respect us too,” concludes the D’Tigress coach.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram WOMEN’S AFROBASKETThe sponsors of the annual Women Basketball League, Zenith Bank has congratulated the women national team, D’Tigress for picking quarter final ticket with ease at the ongoing FIBA AfroBasket championship taking place in Dakar, Senegal.D’Tigress whipped Tunisia 75-26 in the group’s opening match and also in the second match, the 2017 AfroBasket defending champions walloped Cameroon 106-39 to book a quarter final place in the continental basketball competition.
Freshmen Karlee Farr and Serra Degnan followed a similar path during their trek toward featured roles on the No. 5 Syracuse offense.Both were multisport athletes in high school. In addition to playing field hockey, Farr was a member of the track team at Donegal (Pa.) High School, where she helped set a school record in the 4×100 relay. Meanwhile, Degnan kept busy by running track and playing both basketball and softball at Wyoming Area High School.The two made the 2012 Pennsylvania All-State First Team in field hockey after scoring a combined 147 goals during their years of high school competition.But through the first three weeks of the 2013 season, both have struggled to find their offensive touch.They’re hoping that changes this weekend when Syracuse (6-0) hits the road to take on No. 17 Boston College (5-1) on Friday at 4 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass., and returns to face No. 6 Princeton (3-1), the defending national champion, at J.S. Coyne Stadium on Sunday at 3 p.m.AdvertisementThis is placeholder text“As a freshman coming in, you hear about all these teams and you can’t wait to compete against them and see how well you do,” Degnan said. “It’s going to be a battle.”Although Farr and Degnan have already worked their way into the starting lineup, finding the back of the net hasn’t been as easy.Despite logging 345 minutes in game action, Degnan has been held scoreless through Syracuse’s first six contests. She said that she’s not entirely frustrated because the team has been winning, but she also admitted that scoring that elusive first goal this weekend would be a huge confidence boost.“I’d probably die and keel over,” Degnan said. “It would certainly be exciting.”Head coach Ange Bradley is confident that Degnan’s persistence will be rewarded very soon.“Serra’s going to score this weekend,” she said with a smile.Farr recorded her first and only collegiate goal against Michigan State on Sept. 6.“It was definitely as cool as I thought it would be,” Farr said of the experience. “Emma Russell gave me a great pass to set me up for the goal. It was great to get the first out of the way.”Both agreed that there has been a significant learning curve at the college level. Specifically, Degnan said the speed of the game is quicker and the talent pool is much more balanced.However, they also said the camaraderie among the squad has made the entire process much easier.“I’m taking advantage of every opportunity that I have to keep learning and growing,” Farr said. “I’ve had a lot of great support from my teammates and coaches, so that helps.”They may not have made much of an effect on the stat sheet quite yet, but their role on the bench and in the locker room has been significant. Bradley said their intangibles have been a valued contribution for a team that relies on both young talent and veteran leadership.“Tenacity, guts, courage … their mentality is very good,” Bradley said. “They’re not too high, not too low. They’re very present mentally.”They will need to bring every bit of that cerebral focus this weekend, as Bradley expects the team’s first Atlantic Coast Conference game on Friday to be “hard-fought” the entire way.Not that it scares Farr and Degnan. The two freshmen are up for the challenge.“It’s going to be a really big step for the team,” Farr said. “We really want to show our presence in the ACC.” Comments Published on September 19, 2013 at 12:36 am Contact Tyler: firstname.lastname@example.org Facebook Twitter Google+
Sevilla have confirmed on their website that striker Alvaro Negredo’s much discussed move to Manchester City is now official.Alvaro Negredo is officially on his way to Manchester City after Sevilla agreed to a reported £21.5 million fee, that could rise to £24.5m with various add-ons.The 27-year-old striker was key to Sevilla’s 9th place finish in La Liga last season that earned the side a spot in the Europa League. Unfortunately, the allure of playing Champions League soccer was too much for Los Rojiblancos to counter, leaving head coach Unai Emery with a massive whole to fill in his attack.Negredo scored 31 goals in all competitions last season for Sevilla, 25 of those in league play. Just how important was he to the Sevilla attack? Those 25 goals accounted for a whopping 43% of the team’s total goals last season in league play.New City boss Manuel Pellegirini continues to reshape his team’s roster after leaving Malaga earlier in the summer. Negredo is the second Sevilla player he has signed, having brought in winger Jesus Navas for £15 million.Negredo has played his entire professional career in Spain.
Ghana’s senior national team players are now set to get more than the $100,000 they each got for being selected to represent the country in the last World Cup.This is as per the new proposal and consideration by government as released in a White Paper on Thursday evening.Following the fiasco that was Ghana’s participation in Brazil, a three-man Commission of Inquiry was set up to look into the issues surrounding the country’s entire effort, among others.In its report, the Justice Senyo Dzamefe-led body recommended that the State allocate a pegged amount of US$100,000 as appearance fees before a World Cup, should Ghana qualify.But government disagreed, proposing that a percentage of the appearance fee paid by FIFA be paid to the players instead.“Government is of the view that pegging the appearance fee at a maximum of US$100,000.00 has the effect of permanently freezing the fee at that level to the disadvantage of the players when the fees go up…” “…Government is of the view that the better approach is to fix the maximum appearance fee payable to the players as a percentage of the appearance fee paid by FIFA. Using the 2014 total appearance fee of US$8 million out of which US$100,000.00 was eventually paid to each player, this works out to1.25%. This should be the maximum amount allocated for each player of the 23 players. Out of this amount, the negotiated amount to be paid to each player should not exceed 60%. Government so directs.”The White Paper, presented by Attorney General Marietta Brew Appiah-Oppong, also rejected the commission’s recommendation that the remaining balance in the World Cup players appearance fee account be divided equally amongst the 23 players.It instead recommended that the money be used for projects of the players’ choosing.Implication Considering that the major cause of Ghana’s poor performance had to do with agitation over bonuses that were in arrears, leading to the infamous flight of more than $3 million halfway across the world, government’s stance will be a victory for players.The commission’s recommendations sought to curtail the regular practice where, for the past five years, Black Stars players have wielded so much power as to hold the nation to ransom should bonuses not be paid in amounts they want.A classic case in point was when former players Elvis Afriyie Ankrah confessed, at the point of tears, that the team’s conduct in Brazil shocked him.He had said on August 21, last year: “My Lord, [the players] were assured that they would definitely get the money before the next match. They are professionals and know very well that they had to train adequately to win matches.”Eventually, even though the money came on the eve, they still got the money but by not preparing for the match they couldn’t deliver.” He had continued: “The Black Stars resolved not to train ahead of their crucial encounter with Portugal if their appearance fees were not paid…”The Minister’s words trailed off, as he dabbed his eyes with a handkerchief. And Elvis wept.He had subsequently recommended that a fixed amount be agreed on for the players to forestall such an occurrence. The government’s refusal to accept this plea from the former sports minister means the nation can easily be held to ransom again in future tournaments.– Follow Gary on Twitter: @garyalsmith
“We weren’t hitting a lot of shots tonight and Blake saved us for a long time,” Clippers coach Doc Rivers said. “Then they started trapping him. We got great 3-point looks. Some nights they go in and some nights they don’t. Tonight was one of the nights where they didn’t go in for us for the most part.”Although the Bobcats did come up with a steal on Griffin when they doubled him once in the low post late in the game, the Clippers power forward said it wasn’t necessarily anything Charlotte did defensively that led to the loss.The Clippers were 9 of 27 from the field in the fourth quarter.“We missed shots,” Griffin said.That, and a heads-up play by Bobcats guard Gerald Henderson. Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error With the game tied at 89, Ramon Sessions drove the lane and tossed up a floater up that hit nothing.However, a cutting Henderson circled underneath the basket, caught the loose ball and — before the Clippers could react — elevated from the side of the rim and dunked for the go-ahead points with 22.5 seconds left.The Clippers had two chances to tie the game, but Jamal Crawford missed a layup and Griffin couldn’t connect on the putback.Josh McRoberts sank two foul shots with 13.9 seconds left to push the lead to four. Griffin missed another layup and Michael Kidd-Gilchrist added two more free throws with 7.7 seconds remaining to seal the victory.Henderson finished with 13 points and seven rebounds.The Clippers fell to 11-12 on the road this season and 6-3 since Chris Paul was forced to the bench with an injured right shoulder.“Our defense,” Jefferson said of the difference in the game. “We got stops and we got rebounds when we needed to. They’re a heckuva team, an offensive machine even when their best player isn’t on the floor. We just had to dig down and get stops when we needed to. And we did a good job of attacking the paint. We deserved to win this one.”Jefferson was a beast down low.He came in with the hot hand for the Bobcats, averaging 25.5 points and 12.7 rebounds while shooting 55.8 percent over the last six games and didn’t let up against the Clippers.“He is showing his versatility,” Bobcats coach Steve Clifford said. “He is getting the ball closer to the basket more consistently. I think it is the extra work he is doing to strengthen his ankle. He can pivot on both feet now.”The Bobcats didn’t seem to have an answer for Griffin early as he proved too physical for McRoberts and Cody Zeller in the low post and too quick for Jefferson. But as the game went on the Bobcats doubled him more in the low post and Griffin didn’t post up much in the closing minutes.It was a big win for Charlotte, which improved to 2-0 without point guard Kemba Walker, who is expected to be back in about 10 days after spraining his ankle.Sessions had 10 points and a season-high eight assists in his place and journeyman backup Jannero Pargo had 11 points, including seven in the fourth quarter.The Clippers came in having won their previous six games against the Bobcats by an average of 16.7 points.But it was the Bobcats who were in control most of this game.Charlotte took a 72-70 lead into the fourth quarter before opening a seven-point lead behind Pargo, who knocked down three jumpers.“You can honestly say, that was the key stretch to the game, when he got going,” Clifford said. “Against a team that is so explosive, playing from ahead is always easier. (Pargo) has done a great job.” CHARLOTTE, N.C. – It took three quarters, but the Charlotte Bobcats finally were able to shut down Blake Griffin.Then they shut down the high-powered Clippers, 95-91 Wednesday night.Griffin scored 26 points in the first three quarters, but was limited to one point in the final 12 minutes, when he was 0 for 4 from the field, including a pair of misses in the final 20 seconds.Al Jefferson had 24 points and 10 rebounds to lead Charlotte to its first win over the Clippers in their last seven tries. The veteran center was 12 of 23 from the field as the Bobcats won for the third time in their last four games at home.
Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error NBA writers Mark Medina and Bill Oram of the Southern California News Group take a look at who has Brandon Ingram’s attention, with audio from the rookie himself and one of the players he’s patterning himself after, Golden State superstar Kevin Durant.Listen to the podcast.
Mohamed Salah is officially Liverpool’s new member, and his departure from Rome left the void in the attack, leaving one of the best tandems in the world which he made with Edin Dzeko.FC Roma payed 45 million euros, making this transfer the biggest one in the history of the club. Salah scored 15 goals in the past season and entered 13 assists. Dzeko said goodbye to his friend on the social networks by following words:“I wish you lots of fun and goals in Liverpool. We’ll see eachother in the Champions League next season,” Dzeko wrote.(Source: fokus)
Florida voters will head to the polls on Tuesday, March 17th to cast their ballots in the presidential primary and also to decide 20 different municipal elections including selecting a new mayor of Boca Raton.Already some 40,000 absentee ballots have been cast in Palm Beach County.Palm Beach County Supervisor of Elections Wendy Link sat down with 850 WFTL to explain how this time around, the county is ready for a problem-free election with new voting equipment and no problematic apps to get in the way like in Iowa.Listen to the full interview here.https://www.850wftl.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/SFS-Palm-Beach-County-Supervisor-of-Elections.mp3It’s too late to register to vote in the upcoming presidential primary, but you still have time to do so for the August primary and the general election in November.Click here to register.