In response to Pope Francis’ call for a day of prayer and fasting to promote peace in Syria, Notre Dame community leaders galvanized on-campus participation throughout the day on Saturday. Junior Matthew Caponigro, a member of the Notre Dame Peace Fellowship, explained the importance of Notre Dame’s reaction to the papal declaration for a day of peace and prayer. “It’s especially important that so many people were involved at Notre Dame because Pope Francis called for this day of prayer on the feast day of Our Lady, in whose honor our university is founded,” Caponigro said. The centrality of Saint Mary permeated the event. “Opening prayer took place beneath the outstretched arms of the gilded statue of Mary atop the golden dome, and for closing prayer we met again under the auspice of Mother Mary at the Grotto,” Caponigro said. Caponigro said the fasting portion of Saturday’s events, beginning with a morning prayer at the steps of the Main Building at 10 a.m., was a highlight for participants. “Fasting acts as a first step and leads us to solidarity, as it helps us to empathize with the 120,000 refugees in Jordan uprooted by the conflict and the millions of internally displaced persons in Syria without adequate nourishment,” he said. The Eucharistic adoration, in which participants recognized Christ’s own suffering in a display of empathy, emphasized solidarity between the participants and those in Syria. “The central message is building relationships and peace through encountering each other in this way,” Caponigro said. The fasting period followed morning prayer and lasted until 4:30 p.m., at which point participants from across the campus gathered at the Grotto to offer prayers for peace. Senior Christopher Torres, secretary for the Militia of the Immaculata, said that prayer is about more than recitation. “God gives us unique opportunities in which He offers us graces, a moment when we can ally ourselves with the suffering people in the world, and I felt that I could help participate in that saving action through prayer,” he said. As part of the Pope’s call to peace, Torres said prayer can be used to facilitate action for peace in Syria. “Hopefully, the hearts of the government officials are inspired to move toward dialogue rather than violence,” he said. “We must value the people and their lives. I hope for the consolidation of those who are struggling and facing death, and I pray that God consoles and protects them.” Caponigro said institutions on the Notre Dame campus are already participating in this call to peaceful diplomatic resolutions. “The Kroc Institute is researching the possibilities for peace in Syria,” he said. “The situation in Syria is still incredibly convoluted. That is why it is especially important to turn of prayer because the politics are so complicated – that way we can keep in mind the face of the Syrian people, and pray that any diplomatic move operates within that perspective.”
LifestyleLocalNewsTravel New schedules improve Dominica’s access by: – August 24, 2016 Sharing is caring! Share Share (Roseau, Dominica – August 24, 2016) Dominica’s air access is back, and it’s better! It was a year ago, on August 27, 2015, that Tropical Storm Erika devastated Dominica’s main airport, Douglas Charles Airport, and created a future of uncertainty for Dominica Tourism. Over the last year, Dominica and our tourism and aviation partners have been on mission to build back better. Prior to Tropical Storm Erika, there were fifty-six (56) scheduled weekly flights into Douglas Charles Airport, with an estimated seating capacity of 2,827. Following the reopening of the airport in September 2015, all carriers returned to Douglas Charles and over time some have even increased their flights. Today, sixty-seven (67) scheduled flights arrive weekly, a 16.8% increase in weekly seat capacity, to 3,301. After months of only two flights serving Dominica, on June 1, 2016, regional carrier LIAT implemented its new destination schedule for Dominica which includes five daily flights and one flight four times weekly, a total of thirty-nine (39) weekly flights and up to 2,372 in seat capacity. The implementation of this new schedule features the reinstatement of late afternoon direct flights from Antigua offering convenient connections from the United Kingdom and Europe; mid-morning, mid-afternoon and evening flights from Barbados which allow same day connections from many key United States gateway cities, Toronto, and London; non-stop flights from Puerto Rico four days of the week; and three flights per week from Guadeloupe. On July 1, 2016 WINAIR and Air Antilles increased flights between Dominica, St. Maarten and Guadeloupe from four days a week to daily service, an increase of 288 seats per week. WINAIR’s schedule improvements also extended to Dominica’s smaller Canefield Airport, where the carrier has been operating regularly since January 2016. From July, WINAIR now operates eleven flights weekly between Dominica and St. Maarten on its twin otter service into Canefield. This service also includes daily connections to Antigua and has increased the seat capacity at Canefield from 108 pre Tropical Storm Erika to 158 seats at present. These schedules offer convenient same day connections from France and Europe (via St. Maarten) and London (via Antigua).Seaborne Airlines, Air Sunshine, and Coastal Air Transport have maintained regular service to Dominica and effective May 2016, Hummingbird Air also resumed regular scheduled service, now operating into Douglas Charles Airport, three times weekly.These new schedules, coupled with a growing number of interline and code share agreements held by LIAT, WINAIR, Air Antilles, and Seaborne Airlines with carriers such as Jet Blue, American Airlines, United, British Airways, Air France, and Delta, just to name a few, have improved Dominica’s visibility on the Global Distribution System (GDS) immensely allowing travellers to book the Nature Island directly from almost anywhere in the world. So as the busy fall and winter travel seasons approach, including the highly anticipated return of Dominica’s World Creole Music Festival in October, visitors considering Dominica can easily take advantage of same day connections (including return connections). Share 439 Views no discussions Tweet
Of these violators, 49 were recidivists whowere eventually charged in court, data from the Police Regional Office 6(PRO-6) showed. “We need to help one another to containCOVID-19. We need the cooperation of everybody,” said Lucas. “Everyday people are being arrested forloitering outside their residences and not observing social distancing,” saidPRO-6 spokesperson Police Lieutenant Colonel Joem Malong. Army Captain Cenon Pancito III, spokespersonof the 3rd Infantry Division, said they were just waiting for instructions fromthe Inter–Agency Task Forcefor the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases. She warned, “Indi naton ma-solve angvirus outbreak if hard-headed persons will continue to violate quarantinerules.”/PN Pavia, composed of 18 barangays, is thesmallest municipality in Iloilo province in terms of land area – covering only2,715 hectares. “I’m so worried…To the people of Pavia, pleasebe cooperative. We are doing this to help your town get cleared of thecoronavirus,” said Lucas. The Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) isreportedly deploying more Philippine Army soldiers to Pavia to also helpenforce the curfew. “Anglawak ng town ngunitkaunti lang mga pulis natin,” he added. “We have enough soldiers,” said Pancito. Pavia has two confirmed case of thecoronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) – a 50-year-old male (Region 6’s PatientNo. 37) and his 52-year-old wife (the region’s Patient No. 38). ILOLO – The municipality of Pavia has the mostnumber of quarantine curfew violators in the province – 144 as of April 12,according to Police Colonel Paul Lucas, director of the Iloilo PoliceProvincial Office (IPPO). Bacolod City had the highest number ofviolators at 1,732 followed by Negros Occidental (1,123) and Iloilo City(1,043). Region-wide, between March 17 to April 11police units across Western Visayas were able to apprehend 4,448 persons forviolating quarantine curfews being imposed by various local government units. Lucas said the police of Pavia could tap thehelp of village watchmen (barangay tanod) to enforce the quarantine curfew from9 p.m. to 4 a.m.
For all the Latest Sports News News, Indian Premier League News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps. Hyderabad: The 12-month ban a thing of the past now, David Warner said he just tried to be the best father and the best husband in the aftermath of the career-threatening ball-tampering episode. Warner and Steve Smith were handed 12-month bans by Cricket Australia for their role in ball-tampering in South Africa last year, a punishment which both the player have already served. Post the ban, Warner was in imperious form in the ongoing IPL and signed off his season with 692 runs, the highest so far in the tournament, before heading home for World Cup preparations.”I have had time off to work harder at my game. Put the bat down for 16-18 weeks and just worked hard on being the best father and husband that has worked for me. Yeah, I try to be the funny man in the team, the prankster,” Warner said at the post-match press conference on Monday.Warner, who is the leading run-getter in the ongoing IPL with 692 runs, said he just backed his natural instinct.”It’s obviously great to get out there and do your job properly. We’ve got a great deck to bat on. The groundstaff have worked tirelessly to prepare good wickets and then it’s about going back to basics and backing your instincts. I think it just goes back to being still as a batsman. I get the tendency to moving around a bit if there have been a few dots. But I have worked hard over the last few months. The game plan is to back yourself, just back your natural game,” he added.Warner predicted high scores in the upcoming ODI World Cup in England, starting May 30.”This World Cup, you’ll see some high scores. Hopefully the ball doesn’t swing as much. Obviously England are the home team and they’re great. We’re world champions. I’m sure it’ll be great,” signed off the Sunrisers Hyderabad opener.Warner signed off his IPL 2019 campaign in style, notching up his eight fifty of the season to help Sunrisers take a step closer towards qualifying for the play-offs with a comfortable 45-run win over Kings XI Punjab here Monday.Sunrisers skipper Kane Williamson said it was complete performance from his team on Monday.”I guess through the season you’re looking for points and we’re in the crunch time in the tournament. It was a big game for us and it’s been close to a complete performance,” Williamson said.
Rep. Kim LaSata delivers testimony in support of her legislation to assign administrative duties of state water beatification projects to the Michigan Department of Natural Resources during the Nov. 27 House Tourism and Recreation Committee meeting.Legislation introduced by state Rep. Kim LaSata to streamline rules regulating Michigan’s Adopt-a-River and Adopt-a-Shoreline programs was approved today by the House Tourism and Outdoor Recreation Committee.In 2009, then-Gov. Jennifer Granholm signed Executive Order 45, which combined the Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) and the Department of Natural Resources (DNR) into the Department of Natural Resources and Environment. In 2011, Gov. Rick Snyder signed Executive Order 1, which split the two departments back into separate agencies. Confusion caused by these two orders impacted various departmental functions, and a lack of clarity in the law created a situation where the Adopt-a-River and Adopt-a-Shoreline programs were not being administered by any state agency.“It’s unfortunate because many Michiganders are interested in helping out with our state’s rivers and shorelines, but they don’t know it’s an option to do so at Michigan state parks,” said LaSata, of Bainbridge Township. “The programs give people a chance to do their part to clean up litter from the places they love, but before anyone can utilize the programs, we must first clean up the laws that govern them.”After working with the DNR and the DEQ to determine a solution, LaSata’s bills call on the Michigan Department of Natural Resources to administer the programs and offer information to the public about how to become involved.“I want to see these programs prosper,” LaSata said. “Not only keeping our rivers and shorelines clean, but also fostering an appreciation for nature.”House Bills 5155 and 5156 now move to the House floor for further consideration.### Categories: LaSata News 06Dec Rep. LaSata’s water beautification program legislation making waves